[Samba] Samba 2.2.7 terrible slow with Windows XP SP1

Rommel Agnol ragnol at dbzi.net
Mon Aug 9 22:21:24 GMT 2004

I have Samba 2.2.7 installed in a FreeBSD 4.7 server acting as a PDC.
Every folder listing in our main shared folders (drive H: mapped during
login script) is terrible slow.

Initially I checked my server disks, partitions and virtual memory
status and verified that everything is okay.

My SMB.CONF is:
; ======= BEGIN SMB.CONF ===========================
[global]
             netbios name = BENDER
             workgroup = CCNET
             server string = Servidor da Rede CCA %v [%L]
             smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/lib/smbpasswd
             log level = 0
             log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
             max log size = 50
             hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.0.0.1
             hosts deny = ALL EXCEPT 192.168.0. 127.0.0.1
             interfaces = 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1
             bind interfaces only = yes
             security = user
             admin users = root rommel haddad
             domain logons = yes
             domain master = yes
             local master = yes
             logon drive = K:
             logon home = \\%L\%U
             os level = 99
             preferred master = yes
             wins support = yes
             username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/user.map
             domain admin group = @wheel
             add user script = /usr/sbin/pw useradd -g machines -c %u -d
/nonexistent -s /nonexistent -n %u
             delete user script = /usr/sbin/pw userdel %u
             logon path = \\%L\profile\%a\%U
             logon script = scripts\%U.bat
             share modes = yes
             time server = yes
             map archive = yes
             map system = yes
             map hidden = yes
             hide dot files = yes
             load printers = yes
             printing = BSD
             printcap name = /etc/printcap
             print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P %p -r %s
             min print space = 2000
             encrypt passwords = yes
             passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
             unix password sync = yes
             passwd chat debug = yes
             min passwd length = 4
             passwd chat = *ew*password* %n\n *ew*password* %n\n *done*
             client code page = 850
             read raw = yes
             write raw = yes
             max xmit = 65535
             dead time = 15
             getwd cache = yes
             oplocks = no
             kernel oplocks = no
             lock directory = /var/lock/samba
             level2 oplocks = no
             locking = yes
             veto oplock files = /prf*.tmp/

#Docs - common to everyone
[Docs]
             only user = yes
             valid users = @docs
             write list = @docs
             force create mode =
             preserve case = yes
             max connections = 0
             force directory mode =
             path = /usr/samba/docs
             comment = Documentos Compartilhados
             short preserve case = yes
             create mode = 0666
             directory mask = 0777
             force group = docs
             writeable = yes
             user = @docs

; Supressed info about other shares & printers

; ======= END SMB.CONF ===========================

I decided to use TCPDUMP to verify what it is happening and I discovered
that Windows XP client is fetching the whole folder tree listing (we
have almost 43K files using 2.5 GB).

A simple open and save file (a small Excel worksheet with18 kb) used
almost 8000 tcp packets. The same test using a Windows 98 workstation
worked flawlessly (It didn't pump the whole directory tree).

My Windows XP SP1 PRO clients have Web Client disabled and I have
already disabled Oplocks in Windows XP using the registry hack described
in http://support.microsoft.com/?id=812937. I have installed all
released updates installed in my Windows XP Pro SP1 in every workstation.

I even tried to implement the tips described in this article:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/slowbrowse02.htm

but the problem persists.

I know I will have to upgrade to Samba 2.2.10 in order to fix the
password problem, but this feature is not a major issue now because we
wish to upgrade to Samba release 3.x in the next months.

Has anyone detected the same problem? Any fixes / suggetions? I can
attach my tcpdump if this would bring any futher help.  Thanks in
advance for the help.

Rommel Agnol
ragnol at dbzi.net
dBZi Engenharia