[Samba] Authenticating UNIX Cluster with Active Directory

Hodder, Keith keith.hodder at citigroup.com
Mon Aug 2 17:19:35 GMT 2004

Hi All,

We're running Samba 3.0.2 on Solaris and have successfully implemented a number of samba servers authenticating with Active Directory. I now have a requirement to try and implement a samba service using Active Directory authentication within a two-node Veritas Cluster 3.5 environment.

My aim is to have the users access the samba share not by the individual cluster node names, but by the clusters Virtual Nodename (the nodename that moves between the cluster nodes).

I'm not bothered about heavily integrating Samba itself within the cluster, the logistics of the solution have all been sorted out. It is purely the authentication process that I don't know how to achieve i.e. how to go about registering a virtual ip address with active directory so that no matter which cluster node has possesion of the virtual interface, the users can still access the share without changing anything.

Many Thanks,
Keith.

Senior Technical Analyst (Solaris)