[Samba] HOW-TO (mini): Samba in an ADS environment

Bob Rasey bob at rasey.net
Fri Apr 30 18:29:37 GMT 2004

Hi Mark,

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 07:40:52PM +0200, Mark Proehl wrote:

> I read your mini howto. You suggest to delete /etc/krb5.keytab. But this file
> is needed by other kerberized services on the unix server, eg. sshd.
>
> Is it possible to use the same keytab file for samba and the other services?
>
> What happens to other kerberized services if samba changes the server key?

I'm no Samba expert, but my understanding of how I've set this system
up is that authentication on the Linux side happens via Winbind, and
Winbind uses the keytab generated by Samba when you "net ads join".
The end of chapter 21 in the official Samba HOW-TO discusses
leveraging Winbind for authenticating services other than Samba.

But don't quote me on this...

Bob