[Samba] Can't access shares from Windows Clients (Win2003 AD & Samba3 as Member Server)

Zbikowski, Andrew S. (TT) ASZbikowski at traveltags.com
Tue Apr 27 18:59:16 GMT 2004

This is my first venture into the world of Samba 3. I have a Win2003 AD
domain in native mode (no Win2000, NT4 domain controllers.)

My samba server successfully joined the domain. The problem I'm having is
when I try to access shares on the samba server from a windows client, I get
a Username/Password prompt. Giving my AD username/password doesn't work.
Tried all variations of my username (DOMAIN\Username, Username, Username@
realm) with no success.

This is just the output directory for a CUPS PDF printer, so security as
good as a printer output tray is good enough. Ideally, I don't want to
require users to enter their username/password...just like any share hosted
on a Windows server. Any help would be appreciated.

Relevelent chunks of smb.conf:
[global]
        workgroup = DOMAIN
	  realm = REALM.NAME
        netbios name = HOSTNAME
        security = ADS
        password server = AD server for my site
	  os level = 15
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = Offsite WINS Server
        idmap uid = 10000-65000
        idmap gid = 10000-65000
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        winbind trusted domains only = Yes
        invalid users = root
        hosts allow = mylocalnet

[Share]
        comment = Samba Share
        path = /project/test
        admin users = SITEADMINGROUP, MyUsername
#	(no domain info as winbind use default domain is set to yes)
        read only = No
        create mask = 0755
        guest ok = Yes

 - Andy Zbikowski -