[Samba] printing without server side drivers

Chris Cameron chris at upnix.com
Thu Apr 22 17:44:27 GMT 2004

Running RH9, CUPS 1.1.17, hpijs 1.3

It is my understanding that the server Samba is running on doesn't need
drivers for the printer it is sharing.

However, the drivers I do have installed on the server don't work quite
right (chop off the top), and I see now that anything printed through
Samba also has its top chopped off. Which would indicate to me that it
is infact using the CUPS drivers. So, I'd assume that Samba was running
Windows client output through CUPS.

Am I correct in this assumption? Is there something I can configure
differently so the driver on CUPS isn't used?

I've tried just using BSD-Style printing commands (with no luck), in
addition to use CUPS with smb.conf, neither have worked.

I took a look at (but haven't yet tried) setting up Windows clients so
they think the printer is local, however I'm not sure I can use this as
a permanent solution as I need a job status manager for all the (soon to
be) users of this system..

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Chris

My current printing stuff in smb.conf