[Samba] authenticating to an NTLM proxy from a Linux http cli ent

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Apr 22 10:51:39 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 06:12, Jim Smith wrote:
> You could also use squid see http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-23.html#ss23.5
>
> you can use winbind samba 3 and squid have ms clients access the internet via their MS AD credentials.

There are two sides to this problem.  The first one to be solved was the
server-side - we have had Squid working very well for about 20 months
now.

For the client side, Mozilla has an NTLMSSP implementation, but I still
would like to see more projects using Samba's NTLMSSP code, simply
because I think it handles more of the cases correctly (and there are a
lot of them...).

For 'proxy' type setups, I think it would be a very good idea if they
used ntlm_auth (the --helper-protocol=ntlmssp-client-1), that way they
can use Samba's code and protocol knowledge.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net