[Samba] BROWSING SUCKS

Saad Ahmed saad at mantatest.com
Thu Apr 15 15:21:04 GMT 2004

Hi guys,
I got this wired situation. I would appreciate if someone of you could help.

NETWORK:
We have a windows based network of approx 25 computers (Win 98, Win 2000, in NT, Win XP (both Pro and Home). We have a Samba server running on RH9 which acts as the domain controller and master browser for the entire network (OS level = 70)

PROBLEM:
SOMETIMES, in the windows, when I open NETWORKING NEIGHBOURHOOD, I just see one or two computers, MANTA1 (SAMBA Server) and some other computer. When I restart the Samba Services apparently everything starts to work fine again. I tried changing OS Level from 65 to 70 but still no success. Since a few days, the problem seems to happen every 24 hours and I have to restart the services everyday. Previously it used to occur every 7 days or so.

Thanks.
Saad.