[Samba] How to activate DCE/DFS for SAMBA?

Thomas E. Keiser tkeiser at cede.psu.edu
Wed Apr 14 13:24:25 GMT 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Williams, Derrick wrote:

> We would like to know how we can patch Samba 3.0.0 to use OSF DFS on
> AIX. What is the best source to obtain patches or a distribution that
> will allow us to access OSF DFS shares?

Paul Henson maintains a series of patches for doing DCE/DFS integration
with samba.  However, the latest supported version of samba appears to be
2.2.8.  Keep in mind that if you want to do encrypted passwords, you will
also need his sec_auth daemon that runs on the DCE security servers, and
provides support for getting DCE credentials using NTLM auth among other
things.

http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/www/projects/dce_patches/samba/
http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/www/projects/sec_auth/

If you really want to do samba 3 with MS kerb auth against a DFS to SMB
gateway, that will definitely require some new code in sec_auth, and an
updated patch to samba.  Perhaps someone more familiar with DCE/DFS would
care to comment?

Regards,

Tom Keiser
tkeiser at cede.psu.edu