[Samba] Re: samba oplocks ...

Jeff umbach jeff at theserverpos.com
Fri Apr 2 21:07:06 GMT 2004

What exactly are you trying to configure locking for?  Are you running a
network where the same files may be accessed at the same time?

Samba should have at least regular and level2 oplocks on be default.  I
don't believe kernel oplocks are on be default but they aren't needed unless
you're sharing a file that the linux system also writes to.

Keep in mind that for multi-user database stuff you do not want oplocks in
use with your database files.  I use the veto oplock files option to deal
with that.

All this and more can be found by typing 'man smb.conf' at the command line.

"victor mejia vazquez" <vmejia77 at mixmail.com> wrote in message
news:E1B8q4b-0007KR-00 at relay.mixmail.com...

I've tried to configure samba to lock files bewteen windows and linux but i
couldn't i've
read a lot of messages here, but trere is no one that have something about
the file smb.conf.

i have this in my global secction but i doesn't work
[global]
        workgroup = GMC
        create mask = 0777
        os level = 16
        directory mask = 0777
        hosts allow = 192.168.0., 127.
        share modes = no
        max log size = 1000
        lock directory = /tmp/samba/lock
        level2 oplocks = yes
        strict locking = yes
        kernel oplocks = Yes
        blocking locks = Yes
        fake oplocks = No
        oplocks = Yes
        level2 oplocks = Yes

can anybody give me suggestions, maybe someone has te same problem..

thank you