[Samba] SWAT listing Winbindd as not running

Gabriel Matthews gabriel at cinergycom.com
Tue Sep 30 14:53:09 GMT 2003

When I go into SWAT, and click on the Status button, it shows smbd and
nmbd running, but winbind says 'not running'.  But when I do the
following, it shows it's running just fine.. I'm running the latest stable
release of samba 3.0.  I have noticed this behavior since the first RC of
samba 3, and I assumed it would be fixed on the way to final release..

Is this a bug in SWAT, or maybe a hint that something isn't configured
with my winbind properly, hinting to a problem that I submitted in another
email to this list recently, with subject "Using WINBIND and the latest
samba 3".

[root at frodo root]# ps -ax | grep winbind
 2456 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/winbindd
 2457 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/winbindd

[root at frodo root]# /etc/init.d/winbind status
winbindd (pid 2457 2456) is running...

Gabriel Matthews
Network Support
Cinergy Communications