[Samba] Can't use Win BUILTIN\Administrators as owner copy from NT to Linux

Bertil Starck best08 at handelsbanken.se
Sun Sep 21 13:48:49 GMT 2003

Hi, we're trying to use Robocopy to copy data from a NT share to a Linux
share.
We use the option "O" (Ownership) and get's "access denied" when the
Ownership is "Administrators" in the source directory we're trying to
copy. If we omit the option "O" and just use the options "/copy:datsu" the
Robocopy will work. But, the Ownership for the destination directory will
be the same as the id mapping the Linux share, and if the group "Backup
Operators" is in the permissionlist for the source directory it will be
dropped in the Linux share. I believe that the "Administrators" and the
"Backup Operators" are dropped because they belong to the "BUILTIN" group
in NT and Samba is not able to "see" them. Try the "wbinfo -u" to have a
check. As Samba can't see the BUILTIN group then, tell me if I'm wrong
here, Linux is not able to set the "SETFACL"-command against the
destination file/directory.

Now to my question, is it possible to let Samba or Winbind to see the
BUILTIN groups member or can I create a "BUILTIN\Administrators" id in
Linux to do a bypass? Maybe there's another way to do a work around,
please let me know.

Best Regards Bertil Starck