[Samba] Policy Editor and Groups?

rruegner robowarp at gmx.de
Sun Sep 21 03:04:54 GMT 2003

Hi Sambatistas,
ive got the problem too....i had to configure a censored internet gateway
for kids and adults as group.
i studied around with squid wwwoffle and squidguard webwasher.
after 2 day of testing my resolution was a squid on the gateway with
squidguard to filter content....and give it to webwasher
i tested if squid can resolove the win user acount  group but it failed yet
( but should work in the future, perhaps it was my fault )
so i am going to my long way to the policies....studie how to of samba
downloaded poledit and several adm files.
finaly i found what i want and the nt group kids ( created with usermgr) got
the right proxy entries, which "kids" cannot change
so i resume policies work with samba 3 rc4...as pdc ,it is more stuing
microsoft stuff than a problem of samba
the file must called NTConfig.POL ( for nt sys ) and here you can create
group depending features with poledit ( for ie and office you have to
download other packs too )
i was astounding ....fraggeling for long time with windows how good this
work and what is possible with policies
after all i hate it cause it was so complicated *rofl, but works...i tested
this with client win2k german version + German umlauts working based on suse
samba
packs download from their ftp up to version 8.2 which a homebuild kernel acl
include....and all newnat  (masq for netmeeting )superfreeswan ( nat
traverse )patches.
finally i did work with pptp server with encryption for 128 and a smb patch
, so smbpasswd it now the auth file for my ras users.
bla bla wonderfull work samba developers many thanks .......!
so this server will be http , ftp , pptp, dhcp, dns , wins, proxy , firewall
,antivirus, content filter, mailserver, spam filter
wow ,i love it and all on 300 euro box
Regards