[Samba] Why can't I see this share machine in Network Neighborhood

Bob Hartung rwhart at netexpress.net
Sun Sep 21 02:30:32 GMT 2003

Help!
   I have a simple home network.  I have samba [2.2.7a]
running with the smb.conf file listed below.  I can see this
machine in network neighborhood on a Win98 machine and a
WinNT 4.0 machine, but I cannot see this share from a Win2K
machine.
   If I issue a net use command from the cmd window on the
Win2K machine I can mount the share and then open it as normal.

   WHY can't I see the share in network neighborhood?????

#==========smb.conf=============
[global]

# The computer name to see on the Windows clients
   netbios name = rwheserv1
# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = RWHHOME1
# Information to show on Properties tab on Windows Client
   server string = Samba [%v] Share on rwheserv1
# For now the security will be at the SHARE level
   security = share
# This is not the domain master
   domain master = no
# Check for vaious used of capital letters in passwords
   password level = 10
   username level = 10
# We are in a Windows NT domain so encrypted passwords are
needed
    encrypt passwords = yes
# Where is the encrypted password file
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details
# socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

#============================ Share Definitions ====
[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
# We do not want any home directories visible to the Windows
users
    browseable = no

[public]
    comment = Public shares on localserv1