[Samba] Question about new Samba 3 rc4 and BDC

Gabriel Matthews gabriel at cinergycom.com
Wed Sep 17 21:22:42 GMT 2003

I might see the answer here in the HOWTOs... I didn't see this before..
*sigh*

Can Samba be a Backup Domain Controller to an NT4 PDC?
With version 2.2, no. The native NT4 SAM replication protocols have not
yet been fully implemented. The Samba Team is working on understanding and
implementing the protocols, but this work has not been finished for
Samba-3.

Can I get the benefits of a BDC with Samba? Yes, but only to a Samba PDC.
The main reason for implementing a BDC is availability. If the PDC is a
Samba machine, a second Samba machine can be set up to service logon
requests whenever the PDC is down.

So.. I guess the question needs to be directed to the SAMBA development
team, do they expect to have this functionality implimented in the final
release of SAMBA 3, or does anybody know yet?

Gabriel