[Samba] Joining to Windows 2000 domain

Craig Taylor craig.taylor at theforwardgroup.com
Wed Sep 10 13:34:49 GMT 2003

Hi I am trying to join Samba 2.23 to W2K domain.
After creating a computer account on the PDC I run:

sudo smbpasswd -j THEFORWARDGROUP -r PDF -D 4

But it doesn¹t connect and I get the following:

added interface ip=192.168.1.51 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name PDF<0x20>
startlmhosts: Can't open lmhosts file /etc/lmhosts. Error was No such file
or directory
resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name PDF<0x20>
Connecting to 192.168.1.25 at port 445
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name PDF<0x20>
startlmhosts: Can't open lmhosts file /etc/lmhosts. Error was No such file
or directory
resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name PDF<0x20>
Connecting to 192.168.1.25 at port 445
cli_net_req_chal: LSA Request Challenge from PDF to SERVER1:
F2972C23FA8C8474
cred_session_key
cred_create
cli_net_auth2: srv:\\PDF acct:SERVER1$ sc:2 mc: SERVER1 chal
F96E881045A228F4 neg: 1ff
cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine PDF.
Error was : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.
2003/09/10 14:27:30 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain THEFORWARDGROUP.
Unable to join domain THEFORWARDGROUP.

ON the PDC I get the following message:

The session setup from the computer SERVER1 failed to authenticate. The name
of the account referenced in the security database is SERVER1$.  The
following error occurred:
Access is denied.

Anyone have any ideas why I am getting access denied from the PDC. I checked
allow pre-W2K computers to use the computer account when I created it

Thanks
Craig

--
Craig Taylor