[Samba] FreeBSD 5.1 i386 Samba Issues

Mick Walker mick at materialised.hopto.org
Tue Sep 9 20:01:24 GMT 2003

I have sucessfully installed samba 2.2.8a from the port collection, and
when using my windows machine I can browse shares I defines in my
smb.conf perfectly.

However when I try to mount the windows share from freebsd I get the
following

mount_smbfs -I 198.168.1.3 //mick at 198.168.1.3/C$ /mnt/2k
Password:
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Connection reset by
peer

However the share is active because of the following

smbclient -L 198.168.1.3
can't determine netmask for 192.168.1.1
added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
session request to 198.168.1.3 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 198 failed (Called name not present)
Password:
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        IPC$           IPC       Remote IPC
        D$             Disk      Default share
        print$         Disk      Printer Drivers
        ADMIN$         Disk      Remote Admin
        C$             Disk      Default share
        LexmarkZ       Printer   Lexmark Z11 Series ColorFine

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        MICKS2

        Workgroup            Master
        MSHOME               MICKS2

I used to mount this machine using samba no problem under Linux, but
under freeBSD 5.1 it is proving to be a problem.

I also recently installed the latest service pack on the win2k box,
could this be a issue? i.e Change my 2k setting to use plain text
paswords?

Thanks for any comments