[Samba] Simple configuration and not working.

Vincent.Badier at alcatel.fr Vincent.Badier at alcatel.fr
Mon Sep 8 13:52:42 GMT 2003

First, i'm sorry to be so silly that i don't even to success a basic samba
configuration simply working.
Compilation of the rc2 had no errors.

testparm against my smb.conf said ok, and i can start nmbd and smbd.
I also add a new unix user, said toto, and added it in samba.

The problem is that i can't connect to any share, via Windows or via
GNU/Linux.
The result from Windows is a new windows requiring a valid
username/password and from linux, a deny message.

However, share seems to be well exported.
I read as many doc as i could and know that auth is made before all attempt
to connect to any share. So i think this is not any bad right on share, but
an account problem.

Please help since there is a couple of week i'm searching.
Thank's in advance.

Here are my smb.conf file and my entries

Here is my smb.conf :
[global]
        workgroup = MYGROUP
        netbios name = DATA
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No

[homes]
        read only = No

[myshare]
        path = /mnt/mypath
        valid users = toto
        read only = No

on the server :
data:/usr/local/samba# ./bin/smbpasswd -a toto
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Added user toto.
data:/usr/local/samba#

On the client
~# /usr/bin/smbclient //172.26.123.9/myshare -U toto
added interface ip=139.54.25.234 bcast=139.54.27.255 nmask=255.255.252.0
Password:****
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE