[Samba] Re: samba+ldap passwd sync

Service Informatique iut-ulp.sos-informatique at iutlpa.u-strasbg.fr
Mon Sep 8 12:16:18 GMT 2003

Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> Hi !
> I'm in trouble...
> I'm in the way of building a FreeBSD Samba server with LDAP support.
> So far, everything works great except password synchronization.
> It is the only thing I need left to do before my server goes into
> production, so I'm really looking for help.
> What I need is to be able to synchronize the Windows passwords with the
> Unix passwords. All passwords are stored in LDAP (ntPassword,
> lmPassword, userPassword), so there're no real Unix accounts (I use
> pam_ldap+nss_ldap).
> I read a lot of docs, tried a lot of scripts (ldapsync, ldapchpasswd...)
> but I cannot make it work.
> First, I think "passwd program" is never launched, and second, I doubt
> those scripts work well with FreeBSD and crypted passwords.
> If there's anyone out there willing to help, I'd really appreciate, I'm
> out of ideas...
> Thanks.
> Antoine

In samba 3.0.0 (if you use it) you have 'ldap password sync = yes' to
sync when SMB's passwords change.

For the reverse, I'm still trying without any results yet.

My current tries are about pam_smbpass.so module, but it seems to be
more difficult than i'd expect.

In my oppinion, when using ldap password sync, the passord program isn't
  used any more.

   I hope you'll have more chance than me.

--
Eric DECORNOD