[Samba] samba3 - On-the-Fly Machine Accounts - domain admin group?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat Sep 6 00:26:26 GMT 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Rauno Tuul wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone explain, why was parameter "domain admin group" removed from
> samba3?
> passdb/pdb_ldap got totally rewritten... but why remove an useful
> variable...

Because you now have something much more powerful that provides real NT
Groups to your NT/200x/XP clients.

Here are the basic steps:

1. Add a UNIX group account that will be mapped to the NT Domain Admins
global group:

	groupadd ntadmins

2. Now add the UNIX users who should be a member of the NT Domain Admins
group to the UNIX ntadmins account:

a) You can edit /etc/group so that the ntadmins entry looks like:

	ntadmins:x:543:maryo,willy,billg
-OR-

b) Use the system toolset to do this by:

	usermod -G ntadmins maryo
	usermod -G ntadmins willy
	usermod -G ntadmins billg

3. Now map the UNIX group to the NT Domain Admins group:

	net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=ntadmins

4. Done.

Hope this helps! IT is covered in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf file that
is included with Samba-3 in the docs directory. Let me know if we missed
anything! :)

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra