[Samba] cross-subnet domain join issue

Sean Kellogg skellogg at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 4 23:27:55 GMT 2003

I am one hurdle away from finishing my test PDC with ldap and password
sync.  Its been a hair raising effort...  and if I can solve this one
issue, we'll be ready to kick our Windows PDC out the window.

When I attempt to initially join the domain ( LOGOS ) from a win2K
client residing on a different subnet, I get the following:

--------
The following error occured validating the name "LOGOS"
The condition may be caused by a DNS lookup problem.  For information
about troubleshooting common DNS lookup problems, please see the
following Microsoft Website:

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted
--------

This is the same error I would get on clients residing on the same
subnet that didn't have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled.  Once enabled, I
was able to join without incident.  However this does not appear to be
the issue with clients residing on other subnets, as they are properly
configured.

Adding to complications, I am certain that the server running the domain
(also named LOGOS) can be seen from other subnets by doing lookups on
//LOGOS/.

Documentation on the subject seems to indicate that this shouldn't be an
issue...  the tough part is supposed to be browsing, but I can't start
tackling that issue until I'm join to the domain in the first place.

Thanks for any assistance,
Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
University of Washington

"Linux is to the internet what duct tape is to everything else"