[Samba] HELP PLEASE! encountered ERRbadpw

Gangjian Fu gangjian.fu at clincab.com
Thu Sep 4 15:47:13 GMT 2003

Hi, samba experts!

We got a UNIX machine and would like to share a disk drive with PC users.
However we manage to have one account working, but not any other accounts. I
used `smbpasswd -a user` to add user and password, I made sure the username
and password are the same as UNIX account and the windows account. But
whenever I tried to access the samba server and the disk drive, I'm prompted
to regive my username and password. Further tracing showed that the account
information I gave are invalid. Then I used `smbclient -L samba-server -N`,
I got error msg of
Domain=[xxxx] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.0]
tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in
a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

What does that mean? Where should I check the bad password? Thanks a lot!

Gangjian