[Samba] samba3rc1 can't join AD domain

Joe Howell howellj3 at mchsi.com
Mon Sep 1 19:32:51 GMT 2003

NEWBIE ALERT!

I've a Win2K AD native-mode domain in which I'm trying to evaluate Samba 3
RC1 as a file/print server.  I have set up Samba, Kerberos, OpenLDAP, and
Winbind on a RedHat 9 server, following the directions in the documentation.
When I issue a "kinit" with my W2K domain account, I get prompted for my
password, but I get no response positive or negative.  Likewise, if I issue
a "net ads join -U myuser", I get prompted for my password but then I get no
response after that.  I don't see my server showing up in AD either.
Everything appears to be configured correctly and I can ping and nslookup in
both directions.  Can someone suggest where I might be going wrong?

In my smb.conf I have:

[global]
security = ADS
realm = MY.DOMAIN.COM