[Samba] password sync, unix to smbpasswd

Jay G. Scott gl at arlut.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 15 18:11:17 GMT 2003

1)  where's this list archived?  i looked through my "joining" email
and the web pages it sent me to, it says i might be better off reading
the archives, but i can't find 'em....  i've got a feeling my problem
is old news, if i could just find the archives.

2)  config:
samba 3.0.0
red hat 9.0
i WANT to fix it so a unix password change gets propagated to the
private/smbpasswd file.  the manual, section 25.2.5.1 seems to be
talking about exactly what i want.  so that's what i tried.
the password-sync file it shows lists pam_UNIX.so, which red hat 9.
does not have.  i tried pam_unix.so, pam_stack.so, pam_UNIX.so
(yeah, i know, i know, but i was desperate for something to happen).

what happens is that the unix password gets changed, but not propagated
to private/smbpasswd.

i compiled from source.  red hat's samba is on the machine, but it
should be ignored--the daemons are the ones i compiled, i'm sure of
that.  i copied smb_passwd.so into /lib/security, and source/bin/smbpasswd
to /usr/bin/smbpasswd.  i didn't mess with any of the other red hat
binaries/libraries.

i've tried turning on debugging in the daemons--pretty silly, actually.
no messages from anything, anywhere, that i can find.  (the daemons aren't
involved in the pam-password stuff, evidently.)

there has been much floundering here....

j.

[global]
	netbios name = crumpled
	workgroup = MYGROUP
	os level = 64
	preferred master = yes
	domain master = yes
	local master = yes
	security = user
	obey pam restrictions = yes
	domain logons = yes
	logon drive = H:
	logon path =
	logon home =

	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %u

   server string = Samba Server

   load printers = yes

   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m

   max log size = 50