[Samba] RE: RE: SPAM

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Oct 15 01:55:42 GMT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:13:01 -0500, Jared Rypka-Hauer wrote:

> Just to further confirm the idea that this mailing list is associated with
> the current surge in receipts of the SWEN virus, I signed up for this list
> when I upgraded to Samba 2.2.3 on Oct 1. An hour later I began receiving
> mass quantities of SWEN-infected emails.

Wow, you sent mail to thousands of people and now you're getting
viruses?  How remarkable.  Obviously samba.org is doing something
wrong.

> Stripping emails of addresses or at LEAST putting up a warning on
> the signup page and

  Warning!  Using email may cause you to receive spam.

or perhaps

  Warning!  The samba team cannot control the actions of every
  random idiot on the Internet.

or

  Warning!  Many samba subscribers use virus-prone Microsoft systems.

> providing an option to not have your email address listed to the
> world (not sure if that's there already or not)

We never do that.  As would have been obvious if you'd spent about 30
seconds to look.

> Objectively, I'm guessing that in the current political climate a case
> could be made for the idea that, having been notified their list is
> being targeted and should they do nothing to prevent further abuse,
> they could be partly liable for any damage occurring.

What a shining wit.

--
Martin