[Samba] Winbind Working!!!

Ganguly, Sapan Sapan.Ganguly at thalesgroup.com
Tue Oct 14 09:55:36 GMT 2003

I got winbind working!!  For anyone who is interested here is what my
smb.conf looks like -

[global]
workgroup = DOMAIN
server string = winbind client
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
local master = no
dns proxy = no
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
template homedir = /home/%D/%U
template shell = /bin/bash
winbind seperator = -
winbind use default domain = yes

I then joined the domain with -

net rpc join -S pdc -U administrator%password

Then I ran authconfig (I'm using redhat 9.0) to setup PAM for smb
authentication.  I can now login to my linux machines with my windoze
username and password.

The only thing I haven't managed to do yet is automatically create the home
directories, does anyone know how to do that?  I seem to remember reading
somewhere that this is also a PAM thing but I can't seem to find that
article again.

Thanks,
Sapan