[Samba] Permissions on Samba share for Windows users

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat Oct 11 01:51:42 GMT 2003

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Tim Jordan, Network Services wrote:

> I'm working with Samba 3 on my Gentoo box. So far setting up
> andconfiguring Samba w/ldap and krb5 support is pretty straight
> forwared.  My Gentoo box is now a member server of the domain, shows up
> in Active Directory.
>
> I can get a kerbereos ticket from our W2K PDC and connect to windows
> shares with as little effort as:
> smbclient //server/share -k
>
> Now I'm ready to start moving into setting permissions on directories
> and files for my Samba shares.
>
> I did read chapters 12 & 13 of the how to but I'm still stuggling.
>
> So far I have:
>
> 1. created a share:
>    [Linux Software]
>    comment = Help your self
>    browseable = yes
>    writable = yes
>    path = /mnt/windows/Software/
>    #nt acl support = true
>    public = yes
>    write list = @domadm
>
> 2. I created a user named jon and have added him to the domadm group also did an smbpasswd -a.
>     Jon set his linux password to match his windows password - I don't know if this is critical...
>
> 3. The unix permisions on /mnt/windows/Software:
>  	drwxr--r--   57 tim  root        32768 Oct  8 00:49 Software
>
> 4. I have tried to give ownership of the /mnt/windows/Software directory to domadm but I cannot-
>     It comes back with:
> 	bash-2.05b$ chgrp domadm Software
> 	chgrp: changing group of `Software': Operation not permitted
>     I did this as root.  The partition is a FAT32 Partition.

The error message says it all! You have mounted a FAT32 partition. It is
mounted with the credentials of a particular user and group. You can not
change this. FAT32 has no concept of being owned by a user or group. If
you want the ability to change that then you must use a file system other
than FAT.

- John T.