[Samba] remote windows management

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Oct 10 02:58:52 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 02:55, David Bear wrote:
> I keep hoping for better wasy to remotely manage windows machines
> through samba.
>
> In the very old samba-tng there was an rpcclient that could connect to
> a remote machine and do various things like read/write the registry,
> grab event logs, etc.  I could never get it to work very well and
> waited for a better one.
>
> The trouble is the rpcclient program in samba-current doesn't have
> these features.

This is one of areas that has not yet been ported across from Samba
TNG.  I think we have a lot of the low-level code for this (we need it
to implement the server-side) but the user-interface is lacking.

> Is there any work to add these to an rpcclient for samba or are these
> features moved elsewhere?

No work in Samba itself, but feel free to submit patches.  Or just
compile up Samba TNG :-).

> I really want total control over windows2000/xp box similar to what
> you get through the mmc -- control user accounts, start/stop services,
> remote regedit, etc.

Most of these are in Samba TNG's rpcclient, I think.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net