[Samba] SUCCESS report: samba3 as single-sign-on provider in heterogeneous network

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Oct 10 00:59:03 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 17:43, Marcus Blomenkamp wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> to raise the bug vs success ratio i'd like to express my gratitude to all
> samba members and those who, though not in-core developers, generously
> supported noobs like me on this mail list.
>
> I've set up an environment two months ago and it has run without glitches or
> tweaks since then. Now as misusing my family as beta testers has worked out
> so nicely i will deploy an identical setup in the institute i'm working for.
>
> Samba and OpenLDAP in pair function as single-sign-on provider. All
> information (passwords, users, mappings etc) is stored in ldap under strict
> permission policies - all within ldap except the password to access ldap. :)
> Authentication is handled centrally through samba. Clients are debian woody
> and windows xp machines joined into the domain. The network is heterogenous
> itself with some machines sitting on wireless lan. Roaming profiles perform
> great with only one warning being spit out on the winxp machines: 'cannot
> find active directory controller' or similar ;)

That's an interesting one - I've not seen that.  Any ideas what triggers
it?

> Unix clients currently suck their uid/gid information directly from ldap as
> i'm still relying upon NFS for home directory access. I've setup auto-mount
> smb/cifs home dirs through pam_mount too, however smbfs/cifs seem far from
> usable in respect of unix specialties such as absolute symbolic links. Has
> anythind happened in this direction recently? This would definitively be the
> dot on the i.

Personally, I don't think this is the right way to do it - NFS is a much
better match for unix semantics.    Now, the trouble is securing NFS -
but I think that NFSv4, SFS (www.fs.net) and the like are a better match
for this problem space.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au