[Samba] Receiving error: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Jonathan Villa jvilla at isdesigndev.com
Fri Oct 3 19:45:00 GMT 2003

I'm set this up before, but now I'm having some problems setting Samba
up in W2k domain.

System: Red Hat Linux 8

In smb.conf I have the following

[global]
netbios name = THEMACHINESNAME
workgroup = OURDOMAINNAME
password server = OURPASSWORDSERVER
security = domain

I shutdown smb via 'service smb stop'... then I

#smbpasswd -j OURDOMAINNAME -r OURPASSWORDSERVER

but I get

cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine
OURPASSWORDSERVER. Error was : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.
2003/10/03 14:43:19 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain OURDOMAINNAME.
Unable to join domain OURDOMAINNAME.

I'm pretty sure I was able to get to work before

Oh yeah, I also added the netbios name of the computer to the network.
I can see it and open the machine from Network Neighborhood, but before
I was able to set up where you would login into your own dir.