[Samba] Samba 3.0 and LDAP as a PDC

Ganguly, Sapan Sapan.Ganguly at thalesgroup.com
Wed Oct 1 12:36:28 GMT 2003

Hello all,

I hope this is an easy one, I've read all the howtos but I'm still very hazy
on how to do this.  What I want to do is replace my NT4 PDC with a Samba 3.0
PDC with an LDAP backend.

I've got my OpenLDAP up and running with the basic People, Computers and
Groups ou's.
I've put the builtin NT groups in too.
I have Samba 3.0 functioning as a BDC

The trouble is that the 'net rpc vampire' command isn't working for me,
probably because I haven't defined the smbldap scripts right in smb.conf.
I've put all the relavent bits in smbldap_conf.pm. If anyone has done this
already please may I see a copy of your smb.conf?

'net rpc samdump' works, I guess the output from that could be used to
populate the the LDAP, is there a script for that?

I've also tried the smbldap-migrate-accounts.pl script, to import all the
information from a pwdump of my PDC, this sort of worked but it only created
posix accounts, is this right?  Also pwdump.exe does not seem to dump groups
so what are you supposed to use smbldap-migrate-groups.pl with?

I think I might be able to work this out if I can just get a look at someone
else's smb.conf.

Sapan Ganguly
Thales Research