[Samba] approx. what size should samba compile to?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 29 03:20:43 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 14:00, peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au wrote:

> Hi, I just downloaded samba 3.0 and configured, make, make installed it
> It turned out to take up about 2 Gb of disk space.
> Is this a normal size for the installation?

That's due use of more recent versions of gcc, which have a bad reaction
(as regards file size at least) to the way samba is compiled when using
debug symbols.

Other than eating your hard disk, it should have no other impact on the
running of your system.

The 3.0.0 release was shipped with -g enabled by accident, this has been
corrected in 3.0.1pre1.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org