[Samba] samba 2.2.6 to samba3.0

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Thu Oct 23 12:42:15 GMT 2003

> > > i want to update samba 2.2.6 to 3.0.
> > > i have samba-ldap installed.
> > > i don't want to create all the machine again. What files i have to save
> > > from samba 2.2.6 to have all the machines in the domaine after installed
> > you just need to maintain the same domain SID (and name of course0
> > rpcclient's lsaquery command on the old installation to determine this
> > then use net setlocalsid with that value on the new installation.
> > Be aware that the ldap schema has changed so you'll have to migrate your
> > data (or i'm told there are some compatibility ldap options - google if
> > you want that)
> If you use the same configure options (--with-ldapsam) then these are
> enabled by default.  Otherwise, it's the ldapsam_compat passdb backend.

When we converted our PDC to 3.0 we first just upgraded Samba (bieng careful to
migrate the SID of course) and used ldapsam_compat,  then after a week of
successful operation we converted the Dit using the provided scripts and
switched to ldapsam.  This provides a low-risk and almost painless upgrade
route.  The ldapsam provides lots of advantages over ldapsam_compat, so it is
worth it to move.