[Samba] Delay accessing samba 2.2.8

Tobias Schliebitz tobias.schliebitz at phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Oct 23 10:47:11 GMT 2003

Hello folks,

I'm a newbie to this list, so please forgive me if I ask a question already
answered. Yet having searched the web for a solution to my problem yields no
results, so perhaps the question isn't that stupid:

I have set up a small WLAN with a slackware 9.0 server. Samba 2.2.8 is
installed and seems to work fine generally. I should add that I run it
wrapped up by tcpd, not as a standalone demon. Accessing the shares from my
m$ w98 clients, I encounter a significant delay (everything seems to freeze)
of about 1 min. This only happens the odd time, although quite regularly.

My network is, as far as I can say, stable. Name resolution is done via DNS
(bins 9.0 installed on linux box) and WINS (wins support = yes on samba).
Pinging my linux box yields instant replies, so no time should be wasted
here.

Any ideas anyone?

TIA,

Tobias