[Samba] german characters and Samba 3.0

Stefan G. Weichinger monitor at oops.co.at
Wed Oct 22 23:36:23 GMT 2003

Hi,

I just upgraded my customerŽs servers to Samba 3.

Unfortunately in the former 2.x installation there was the wrong
character set/codepage configured (the defaults ...).

I moved all the files to an XP-box, upgraded to Samba 3.0, removed the
options "character set" and "client code page", started Samba and
moved the files back.

I expected to see the special characters when I look at the shared
files via terminal.

The characters are correct on the Windows clients, but I have strange
filenames when looking at them from the linux-side.

This is kind of scary because I backup them via Amanda ... so I have
the strange filenames on tape ... with characters I canŽt even type.
Would be pretty annoying to recover anything particular ...

What can I do about it ?

Thank you,
Stefan G. Weichinger

mailto:monitor at oops.co.at