[Samba] smbfs size limit

Stefan G. Weichinger monitor at oops.co.at
Sat Nov 29 12:01:48 GMT 2003

Hello, Andrew Bartlett,

Samstag, 29. November 2003, 04:25 you wrote:

AB> smbfs in the kernel cannot support the large files.  smbmount in Samba
AB> 3.0 has the patches required to support the large file negotiation
AB> (that's the lfs option).

Ok, I see.

>> - I read about several patches and stuff, but that was all for older
>>   kernels. Basically I would be happy if it works with kernel 2.4.x.
>>   Could someone point me to the patches?
>>
>> I know that this topic ain´t new ...

AB> If you cannot use smbclient (really, it is easier!), and you want to
AB> patch your kernel, then patch it with the CIFS VFS:

AB> http://www.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html

AB> However, in your case, you don't even need to go this far - with the 2.6
AB> kernel, CIFS is standard!  Just select it just like you have smbfs and
AB> NFS.

Good for me. I will try that.

The reason why I can´t use smbclient is that it seems to NOT support
multiple excludes as needed in backups.

I have posted on that topic some weeks ago (14.Nov.03), and I haven´t
received any positive answers that told me how to make multiple
excludes work with smbclient.

--
best regards,
Stefan G. Weichinger