[Samba] samba 2.2.8a, XP pro workgroup question.

KD7NWG kd7nwg at whitepineclub.com
Tue Nov 25 23:56:27 GMT 2003

Gang,
This is my first post here so if I screw up please let me know.

I run samba 2.2.8a on Solaris at home (UltraUX).
I have several XP pro and win98 clients on this same network
(192.168.1.x).
I'm on a TCP/IP network and access my shares using the IP, not the UNC
names.
I use the same workgroup name on all of my hosts and use 'share' level
security on the samba server and it is working great!

However, I now have a laptop (Windows XP pro) which I primarily use at
work which is part of a domain (different then my workgroup at home).
I'd like to start using the laptop to access my samba share when at home
(without changing the laptops workgroup/domain settings) and it's giving
me some trouble.

I feel that my primary problem is when I try to access the share it is
populating the username field 'Guest' and asking me for a password when
I want this share to be completely open regardless of workgroup or
domain name.

Basically I don't want to require a username or password AT ALL, even
when accessing the share from systems on a different workgroup/domain
(same subnet).

This may or may not be possible, but I'd sure like to know if I can make
this share work, without changing my laptops workgroup/domain name.

If I must succumb to forcing a login from the laptop I can, but I'd like
to know how, since the share is already populating the login name field
I don't even know how to override that, at this time.

Here is my smb.conf;
---------------
# This is /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf

[global]
   netbios name = UltraUX
   workgroup = Galvinonline
   log level = 2
   log file = /var/adm/log/sambalog
   security = share
   wins support = yes
   hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1 EXCEPT 192.168.1.1
   hosts deny = ALL

[share]
   path = /share/
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   public = yes
   read only = no

I was under the impression that the settings; 'security = share',
'public = yes', and 'guest ok = yes' in my smb.conf would be all that's
required for this type of access to work but if anybody has any
suggestions or can provide help I'd be greatly appreciative.

If you have a document containing specific information regarding this
topic I'd love to read it.

Thanks,
~Nate