[Samba] very low speed local network browsing from win xp clients

Buda Gábor buda.gabor at euronics.hu
Tue Nov 25 23:30:39 GMT 2003

Hi Everyone there!

We have a very annoying problem since several months when browsing the local
network (workgroup) from win xp clients (from win98 clients it's almost OK).
The machines in the workgroup appearing very slooow (about 15-20 sec), and
this value doesn't change even in the 2nd or 3rd browse. We have 1 linux
(debian 2.4.21 pre 3) pc, running the samba (2.2312) server, about 15 win98
clients, 60 win xp clients, 1 win nt server. When I shutdown our win nt
server, the problem doesn't change. When I shutdown our samba server, the
browsing of our workgroup become very fast.

Here is my smb.conf file, perhaps You can help me to solve this problem.
Thank You.

;
; /etc/smb.conf
;
; Sample configuration file for the Samba suite for Debian GNU/Linux
;
; Please see the manual page for smb.conf for detailed description of
;	every parameter.
;

[global]
	domain master = no
	local master = yes
	preferred master = yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	printing = bsd
	syslog only = no
	dns proxy = no
	null passwords = yes
	protocol = NT1
	name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
	strict sync = no
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192
	character set = iso8859-2
	short preserve case = yes
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	invalid users = root
	max log size = 1000
	interfaces = 192.168.32.253/255.255.255.0
	debug level = 0
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
	preserve case = yes
	security = user
	unix password sync = no