[Samba] NTLMv2 and Win95 clients

Mike Grau m.grau at kcc.state.ks.us
Tue Nov 25 19:48:36 GMT 2003

Hello.

I've just compiled Samba-3.0.0 on Tru-64 5.1b (AKA Digital Unix, AKA
OSF) with base security (no shadow passwords) using the native compiler
and GNU make. In smb.conf I'm forcing NTLMv2 only:

         security = user
         encrypt passwords = yes
         lanman auth = No
         ntlm auth = No
         client NTLMv2 auth = Yes
         client lanman auth = No
         client plaintext auth = No

Using smbclient on the samba server, users are able to authenicate
(smbclient -L SERVER -U user%passwd). From a Win95 client, they just get
"The password is incorrect". The Win95 client authenicates against a
2000 server. The pertinent regisrty settings look like:

  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\LSA]
  "LMCompatibility"=dword:00000003

  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\LSA\MSV1_0]
  "NtlmMinClientSec"=dword:00080000

I've verified the Secur32.dll on the Win95 is the 128-bit version, and
that Winsock 2.0 update and DUN 1.3 are installed.

If I use "security = domain" and use "password server = *" the users
authenicate fine, but I'd rather have this machine be pretty much
stand-alone.

Can someone clue me in, or are Win95 clients just out of luck?