[Samba] Using SWAT results in crash on Sun Ultra 250 running Solaris 2.6

Statts, Pearce (IndSys, GEFanuc, NA) Pearce.Statts at gefanuc.com
Tue Nov 25 15:43:38 GMT 2003

Admins,

I've got a Sun Ultra Enterprise 250 running Solaris 2.6 and Samba 2.2.4.  This system is one of the primary machines in our network, handling not only Samba filesharing, but also NIS and DNS.  Last night, I made several changes to the smb.conf file that were not picked up by the running Samba processes, so I requested an smbd restart via the SWAT web admin tool.  As I was waiting for the SWAT page to refresh itself, our network administrator informed me that the server I was working on had dropped off of the network.  It turned out that the system had crashed and was sitting at it's "OK" prompt, waiting to be rebooted.  This is one of the most critical machines on our network, so of course there was a bit of embarrassment on my end to discover that I had inadvertently crashed it.  After a reboot, everything returned to normal.

I've restarted the smbd services on this machine via the command line plenty of times in the past without a problem.  This time, I just happened to use SWAT to do it, and the system crashed on me.  Neither the system logs nor the Samba message logs make any mention of anything that might have gone wrong.  I was curious to know if anyone else has ever seen this problem, or where I might look to try and figure out what happened?

Thanks,

Pearce Statts

Systems Administrator
GE Fanuc Automation