[Samba] Read-only folders from XP Pro

Marco De Vitis starless at spin.it
Tue Nov 25 13:57:50 GMT 2003

Hi,
I'm using Samba 2.2.8a as PDC + file server in a LAN containing many
Win2000 Pro clients and one WinXP Pro client.

In a share I have some directories which are set to read-only by a script
on the Linux side, but any user can open up the folder properties on the
Windows client and remove the read-only attribute; this is ok, it's what I
want, and works perfectly on Win2000 clients. On the WinXP client,
instead, when opening the properties window the checkmark near the
read-only attribute is shown in grey; if the user removes it and clicks on
OK nothing happens, the attribute is not changed. The same user, when
accessing to the share using a Win2000 client, has no problems.

Setting and unsetting the read-only attribute on _files_ works fine, also
on WinXP. Setting it on directories does not work, if I recall correctly,
neither on Win2000 nor on WinXP. But UNSETTING it on directories works
fine on Win2000, while it doesn't work on WinXP.

This is an important problem for me, and I opened up a bug report some
days go (Bugzilla Bug 796), but didn't hear any comments yet.
So I'll ask here: is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Any
workarounds?

Thanks a lot.

--
Ciao,