[Samba] share is not accessible

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Mon Nov 24 05:10:47 GMT 2003

Hello,

I recently upgraded my distribution of RedHat Linux.  Before the
upgrade, I could access my home directory share on my Linux server from
my Windows XP workstation (I had \\missioncontrol\adam mapped to z: ).
I am using the same /etc/samba/smb.conf and /etc/samba/smbpasswd that
was working before the upgrade.  Now when I go to z: in windows
explorer, after a minute or so of sitting there, it returns the error
z:\ is not accessible.  The specified network name is no longer
available.  Before the Upgrade I was running samba 2.2.7a, and now I am
using samba 3.0.0.  I don't see anything out of the ordinary in
/var/log/samba/* or anything that gives hints as to what is going on.
Any advice would be appreciated.  Below is my smb.conf.  I have the
domain logins enable on the samba server, but I do not have windows XP
setup to do domain logins, just in the same workgroup as the samba
server and then I do \\sharename\share to access what I need.  Thanks
for any help!

#======================= Global Settings================================
[global]

     netbios name = MISSIONCONTROL
     workgroup = NOTWISE-LABS
     server string = Fake-Notwise
     hosts allow = 10.1. 127. 10.13. 10.69.0.
     load printers = yes

     guest account = nobody

     log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
     max log size = 50

   update encrypted = yes
   preserve case = yes
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   unix password sync = no
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password*
%n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

    interfaces = 10.1.3.1/24 127.0.0.1/8
    bind interfaces only = true
    remote announce = 10.1.3.255

    local master = yes
    os level = 34
    domain master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    domain logons = yes
    default service = pub
    password server = NOTWISE

    logon script = logon.bat
    logon home = \\NOTWISE\Profiles\%U\profile
    logon path = \\NOTWISE\Profiles\%U\profile
    logon drive = x:
    wins support = yes
#   name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
    wins proxy = no
    dns proxy = yes
    time server = True

   message command = /usr/local/bin/LinPopUp "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s

#Tuning stuff

   password level = 15
   username level = 15
   getwd cache = Yes