[Samba] Re. initial Samba setup

Kevin Barry kfbarry at bellatlantic.net
Sat Nov 22 14:53:08 GMT 2003

Hi, sorry your smb.conf is to small
what is your samba version, what should samba do for you ,act as pdc or
member server ?
please give more info
here you have an example conf
I recommend you to use swat for initial smb.conf
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)
# Date: 2003/06/21 14:41:58

I'm using Samba 3 and I want it to act as a member server. I modified my smb.conf per the
earlier message but don't seem to be any closer. The following is some
output following the smb.conf change:

[root at corryard root]# smbclient -L corryard
Password:
Anonymous login successful

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        print$         Disk      Printer Drivers Share
        Profiles       Disk      Roaming Profile Share
        media          Disk      Public Stuff
        data           Disk      Data Stuff
        cdr            Disk      CDR Production Files
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba3)
        ADMIN$         IPC       IPC Service (Samba3)
        Laserjet1200   Printer   Created by redhat-config-printer 0.6.x
Anonymous login successful

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        CORRYARD             Samba3

        Workgroup            Master
        WORKGROUP            CORRYARD
[root at corryard root]#

It fails to see the other machine on the network 192.168.0.17 and the XP
machine gives the following message when I double click on the Samba
machine in network neighbourhood: \\corryard is not accessible. You
might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The network path was not found.