[Samba] How does "User and Passwords" work?

idologic webmaster at idologic.com
Thu Nov 20 22:12:54 GMT 2003

Ok, I thought I had this problem licked.  As local Administrator, when I ....
Start:Settings:Control Panel:Users and Passwords

Then try to [Add] a domain user
By clicking [Browse]

I get this Box:

Enter Network Password

You are logged on with an account that does not have access to IMAGING

Enter the name and password of an account with permission for this domain and
click OK

For example domain\username

Connect as:
Password:

It doesn't matter what I do it never authenticates me.  I've tried a number of
smb.conf changes and nothing seems to work.  Nonetheless I've include my
present smb.conf at the bottom.

Also, I don't seem to be getting errors in my log files.  I've tried
tcpdumping everything from the client machine and there seems to be no
activitiy when I enter the login name password from the client.

Any observations helpful.
Cheers

[global]
netbios name = SUPERSERVER
workgroup = WINZOMBIES
os level = 99
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
local master = yes
security = user
domain logons = yes
logon path = \\%L\%u\profile
logon drive = H:
logon home = \\%L\%u
logon script = startup.bat
#guest account  = nobody
#map to guest = bad user

admin users = root

smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

printing = lprng
printcap name = /etc/samba/lib/printcap

load printers = yes
show add printer wizard = yes
printer admin = @ntadmin root
lpq cache time = 20
use client driver = no

[netlogon]
path = /etc/samba/netlogon
read only = yes
guest ok = yes
write list = ntadmin root

[profiles]
path = %H/profile
read only = no
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only = No
browseable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Driver Download Area
path = /etc/samba/drivers
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = yes
#write list = @ntadmin, root

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
public = yes
guest ok = yes
browseable = no
writable = no
printable = yes
create mode = 0700

[irl]
comment = Main Lab Lexmark Printer
browseable = yes
printable = yes
writable = no
lpq command = lpq -Plp-std
lprm command = lprm -Plp-std %j
print command = /irus/bin/lpr -r -h -Plp-std %s

[Share]
comment = Windows Shared Files
path = /theremin/spare4/share
create mask = 0700
read only = no

[Scratch]
comment = Theremin's scratch disk
path = /theremin/scratch
read only = No
create mask = 0755

[FTP]
comment = Theremin's Anonymous FTP Directory
path = /local/ftp
read only = No
create mask = 0755

--
Idologic Administrator (Jeff)
webmaster at idologic.com

       ~~~~~~~
  Those who do not understand Spam are condemned to read it, constantly.
        -- iExxe
~~~~~~