[Samba] PDC recognizing Domain machines: No problem, only Question

Jeff Gardiner gardiner at imaging.robarts.ca
Wed Nov 19 15:46:46 GMT 2003

I understand that when we join a machine to the domain we get entries in both
/etc/passwd and /etc/samba/smbpasswd (config specific).  I would like to ask
if there is a point at which a PDC doesn't not recognize a machine as
belonging to the domain.

BACKGROUND
In my smb.conf I have the line:
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

So that in /var/log I get machine specific log files.  All is well. However I
also get additional files.  If I ls /var/log I get something like:

#ls /var/log
log.0.0.0.0
log.10.1.1.1
log.10.1.1.2
log.10.1.1.175
log.10.1.1.53
log.10.1.2.43
log.10.1.2.201
log.compute
log.admin1
log.admin4
log.security3
log.fileserver1

Where the named logged files are machines, and the IP'd logged files are also
machines.

Is there a point at which the PDC does not know the name of a domain member
and so write its log as an IP?  Also who is writing log.0.0.0.0?

I'm thinking that the PDC requires the SID of the machine in order to
recognize it?

Just looking for some type of explanation for this strange behaviour I see in
my log dir.

Cheers
Jeff

--
Jeff Gardiner [ gardiner at nospam.imaging.robarts.ca ]
System Administrator - Imaging Research Laboratories

       ~~~~~~~
   Second Law of Blissful Ignorance --
-- Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get out.
~~~~~~