[Samba] how to add Samba 3 to apt-get install

Wolfgang Wagner wolfgang.wagner at riwa-gis.de
Wed Nov 19 15:30:06 GMT 2003

> From: Wayne Dozier(Samba) [mailto:wdoziersamba at gborocollege.edu]
>
> I have just installed a new serve running the lateststable
> vesion of Debian.  I am wanting to install Samba3 using

stable aka woody?

> apt-get install.  I know ihave to add it to the sources
> list somehow, but I am new to Debian.

Woody does not contain Samba 3, but read on....

> Can someone help me out with this.  Am I correct in
> thinking I have to add it to the sources list.  Any hep
> would be greatly appreciated.

On http://www.backports.org you can find many newer debian-packages,
which are not contained in official woody. These packages are
"backported" from unstable to stable.

You have to insert in your /etc/apt/sources.list this line(s):
# the original site - please use the nearest mirror, if possible
#deb http://www.backports.org/debian woody all
#
# two mirrors at german universities
#deb http://www.ecology.uni-kiel.de/mirrors/debian/backports.org/debian woody all
#deb http://fs.cs.fhm.edu/mirror/backports.org/debian woody all
#
# maybe the mirror next to you (US)
deb http://www.gonkgonk.com/mirrors/backports.org/debian woody all

A full list of mirrors you will find there:
http://www.backports.org/mirrors.html

> Oh, the reason i want toinstall with the apt-get command,
> is I want it to also be recognized and updated when
> running the apt-get update command.
>
> Wayne

Hope, this will help you.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Wolfgang Wagner
--
Systemadministration
Riwa GmbH, Zwingerstraße 1, 87435 Kempten, +49-831-52 29 63-537
eMail:    wolfgang.wagner at riwa-gis.de