[Samba] local group with members from domain

Jason Anderson jasona1 at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 14 23:03:45 GMT 2003

I would really appreciate some help or hints about local groups.
I want a group that is just on my linux box, but I want to add
users to it from my existing NT domain.  Is there any way to
accomplish this without creating domain groups?

I have Samba 3.0.0 and Winbind running (NOT as PDC) such that
I can login to my linux box with ssh as a domain user
mydomain+janderson.  I can chown mydomain+janderson myfile and
the user can access the file.

Groups from wbinfo -C require Winbind local users, so that seems
to be out.  It seems that modifying /etc/group like
lnxgrp:x:501:mydomain+janderson
doesn't work.  I've tried to use my Windows 2000 user management
tools, but no groups show up.  Is that where I need work?

Jason