[Samba] URGENT problem: Win-NT4 connecting to Samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Nov 14 22:17:52 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 03:38, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I just joined this mailing list because I experience extreme problems in a
> network where I added now a Linux-box. Because I must get this fixed urgently,
> I describe here what I have.
>
> If somebody has a solution (must be something with the configuration), please
> help. -- THANKS !
>

> SETUP:
> ======
> Server : SuSE Linux 8.1 with SAMBA 2.2.5
>
> Clients: Windows-NT4.0 Workstation with SP4/5/6
>
> PDC    : There is NO DOMAIN, everything is running as a "Workgroup"
>          Network, because it is so small (only 5 PC's).

Both of your problems would be solved by using the Samba server as a
PDC, and enabling encrypted passwords.

The problem with printing is well-known, and due (as far as I have seen)
to the way printing is done in NT - it doesn't like connecting to a
printer on a new server, not sharing the current passwords.

The problem of the prompt is due to your use of plain-text passwords.
You seem worried about security, yet why do you allow plain-text
passwords on your network?  MS is also worried about security, and hence
the need to apply registry hacks, and the re-enter the password.

At the very least, move to encrypted passwords, but if you moved to a
'domain' (no matter how trivial) all the servers would automatically
share the password database, and they would not prompt you any more.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net