[Samba] Need Help

Gabriele Altomare gabriele.altomare at docksnet.com
Fri Nov 14 12:09:40 GMT 2003

Hello !

I have a Samba server (version 2.2.7-security rollup fix) on a Redhat
8.0 which work as a PDC and file server with some shares where the
people work everyday on word and excel files opened by their client. The
client are mostly Win98. Some of this client has Office97 and some other
Office2000.
Normally this people work on several documents on the server opened
remotely, sometimes also 20 documents each client in the same time.

My problem is : sometimes, during the work day (2 or 3 times per day),
some document (random, and specially excel documents) freeze (sometimes
saving the document, sometimes printing and sometimes only pressing the
bold button), and after some seconds excel crash. If they reopen one
file (not only the same as before) all documents start to be opened in
read-only until a reboot of the client.

Anyone has an idea of what is wrong ?
Samba server is too slow ?
Oplocks ?