[Samba] smclient-excludes

Stefan G. Weichinger monitor at oops.co.at
Fri Nov 14 11:48:29 GMT 2003

Hello, samba-users,

I am using Amanda to backup WinNT-shares.

Amanda uses smbclient to generate smbtar-archives which it then writes
to tape.

As you all know there are various files on Windows-system-partitions
that donŽt need to be on backup.

For example stuff like

pagefile.sys
System Volume Information
hiberfil.sys

and the registry files.

So there is a need to exclude files from getting into the
archives/tapes. One reason is to keep stuff small, another is to
eliminate annoying errors coming from open files.

---

smbclient can exclude stuff via the "-X" option.

Jon LaBadie and I have tried various approaches to exclude multiple
items which may be contained in some kind of exclude-list (similar to
the exclude file amanda uses for gnutar-backups). Jon has written a
small smbclient-wrapper to feed the multiple options to smbclient, but
it doesnŽt work out so far.

We found that multiple includes are supported by the "-I" option, but
it seems that there is only supported ONE exclude by the "-X" option.

It is always the first item given that is excluded.

Also we could not exactly figure out how all this relates to using "-r".

So the questions are:

- Can we exclude multiple items from being processed by smbclient via
"-X"? Or somehow else?

- If yes, could someone point us to the right syntax?

- How to understand the "-r" option? Does "HAVE_REGEX_H" to be
compiled into client.c/clitar.c to support regexes? The behavior of
"-r" does not change the way we expected from reading the manuals.

Thank you all,
Stefan G. Weichinger
mailto:monitor at oops.co.at