[Samba] Netatalk and Samba???

Philip Edelbrock phil at edgedesign.us
Thu Nov 13 19:07:31 GMT 2003

Take a look at Baltra:

http://www.baltra.org/

The idea behind Baltra is to patch up Netatalk so that it accesses and
stores files on the server in the standard Apple OS-X way instead of the
funky old Netatalk method (e.g. .AppleDouble directories).  Baltra
doesn't change the way Netatalk talks to clients, it just tweaks some
details on how the files are saved on the server (such as UTF-8 names,
AppleDouble v2 files with only FinderInfo and ResourceFork sections, ._
files instead of .AppleDouble directories, etc.).

That way, you can access the files from an OS-X Mac via NFS, SMB, direct
access, etc. while still keeping the entire file (including resource
forks) intact.  It also  prevents having stale resource forks or
multiple resource forks for a file littering the server and causing
possible corruption or other errors.

Lastly, this allows you to migrate away from Netatalk and to a single
standard (e.g. SMB) as you reduce the number of OS-9 Macs on your network.

Good luck!

Phil